Re-Emagining the Concept of Internet TV
Re-Emagining the Concept of Internet TV
Select-TV Solutions Sdn Bhd (Select-TV), one of the leading end-to-end IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) solutions providers who have provided high-quality set-top boxes for clients such as the Burj Khalifa hotel in Dubai, recently released its latest brain-child, the EMAGINE, the company's (as well as Malaysia's) first home-grown Connected TV service.
With the intention of redefining the concept of Internet TV, the EMAGINE is a set-top box that is powered by an Intel Atom embedded processor and connected via high-speed broadband to bring all of your favorite Internet media content directly to your own HDTV.
According to James Chong, Chief EMAGINEER, the problem with Internet content in today's day and age is not that there's insufficient content. “The problem isn't that there isn't enough content on the Internet. If anything, it's the opposite: there is just way too much media content that I want to watch,” Chong explained to the media. “The problem then, is that there is just not enough time for me or any of us to watch what we actually want.”
The EMAGINE was developed to push the envelope with homegrown innovation as well as enter the market with a number of first-of-its-kind features. It was designed for consumers who demanded an easier, more enjoyable, comfortable and seamless experience when watching the online and on-demand videos delivered over broadband Internet to HDTVs in their homes. On a side note, this demand is also what led to devices such as Apple TV, Google TV and Roku in the U.S. to spring up.
“The Internet has captured our attention and changed our lives like nothing before. Over 4 billion hours video is watched each month YouTube alone, with more than 72 hours of video being uploaded every minute,” said C.S. Goh, CEO, Select-TV. “Watching colossal amount of online entertainment and educational content on a PC, tablet or a phone alone doesn't do it justice anymore. The internet has already changed the way we consume music with Internet-powered streaming services such as Spotify and others, and this change is now catching on to traditional television and online entertainment,” Goh further explained.
The features which come with the EMAGINE device are as listed below:
- Beautiful, intuitive and responsive user interface that makes browsing, searching and managing online videos quick and easy. EMAGINE does not merely connect the TV to the Internet and replicate the Internet on a bigger screen. We studied the way a person watches TV and then we custom-designed an online and on-demand video viewing experience for the TV that provides seamless navigation through beautifully designed channels and push of a button content viewing.
- In addition to the 200 plus and growing selected EMAGINE Net TV online channels in English and Chinese language, EMAGINE also curates and hand-picks top online videos through EMAGINE Picks, so you can easily discover the latest and most popular entertainment & educational online videos directly through your TV. EMAGINE will soon allow you to watch videos shared by your friends on Facebook and will recommend video content to you based on your watching behavior in the future.
- Personalize your viewing experience by adding your own favorite online channels, create and share your own custom online video playlists, and watch and bookmark playlists shared by the EMAGINE Community, directly from your TV.
- Share and comment on the online videos you’re watching and even upload your photos to Facebook from your TV.
- Premium subscription Karaoke-on-Demand as the first service on its EMAGINE Plus Premium-On-Demand platform, with more than 50,000 songs in English, Malay, Chinese and other languages. More Premium-On-Demand services will be available soon.
- In-built Shoutcast Radio with more than 40,000 free to listen online radio stations across 25 Genres.
- Full HD Media Player capabilities with three USB 2.0 ports and a dedicated SD card slot, allowing you to watch your videos and listen to music from your external hard disk or a thumb drive and view photos and videos from your camera SD card directly on TV.
- EMAGINE’s HD Media Player supports MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, MKV and other major video formats in HD 1080P; and all major music and photo formats.
- Embedded Intel Wireless Display (WIDI), which allows Intel WIDI compatible laptops to share content and their screens wirelessly on TV in full HD.
- Home Server capabilities allow you to stream content wirelessly from your computer to your TV. EMAGINE is also DLNA compliant, which allows you to beam videos and pictures from your mobile devices to your TV with 3rd party downloadable applications such as Twonky Beam, available both for iOS and Android devices.
- In-built payment platform for subscription to premium content instantly and directly from your TV.
The EMAGINE is currently available exclusively through Lazada, Malaysia's biggest online shopping mall at a price of RM399. For that price, consumers will get the EMAGINE set-top box with no contractual obligations, no additional subscription fees and a 12-month warranty. For the best EMAGINE experience, it is recommended that consumers use the device in tandem with any HDTV with HDMI input as well as consistent broadband speeds of 5Mbps and above.
For more Tech News, please click here.