iOS 8.0.1 update pulled, causes cellular and Touch ID issues (Update: there's now a fix!)
iOS 8.0.1 update pulled, causes cellular and Touch ID issues
(Update September 26, 2014): Apple has released a new update. Additional information is found in the last paragraph.
Apple released a new iOS 8.0.1 update this morning, primarily to fix a bug that prevents third-party HealthKit apps from showing up on the App Store. However, it appears that the update has caused a bigger problem, as owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reported that the update has killed their cellular service and rendered Touch ID useless. Apple has since pulled the iOS 8.0.1 update from availability.
The affected devices will have 'No Service' displayed at the upper-left corner of the screen. According to MacRumors, rebooting the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus does not solve the problem. Some are also reporting that the cellular service issue only seems to affect those who updated their phones using the over-the-air method.
For now, those who installed the iOS 8.0.1 update on their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can perform the following steps to rollback to iOS 8:
- Grab the iOS 8 update file for iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.
- In iTunes, left-click on the 'Update' button while holding down the Option (Mac) or Control (Windows) key.
- Point to the iOS 8 file that you downloaded earlier.
- Hit the 'Restore iPhone' button.
- Once installed, you can choose 'Restore Backup' to bring your phone to its latest state.
Apple responded on the issue with the following statement: “We are actively investigating these reports and will provide information as quickly as we can.”
Update: Apple has now released iOS 8.0.2 to overcome the following:
- Issue that crashed cellular network connectivity and Touch ID feature on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Healthkit apps now appear on the Apple App Store
- Enchanced support for 'Ask To Buy for Family Sharing' feature during in-app purchases
- Better support for third party keyboards
- Apps are now more compatible with the Photo Library
- The reliability of 'Reachability' is now enhanced
- Issues during receiving SMS/MMS now resolved
- Ringtones are now restored from iCloud backups more effectively
- Videos and photos can now be uploaded via Safari without any issues
For more on Apple, please follow us here.