MSC ICON2 Drives Local Web and Mobile App Development
The 2nd MSC Malaysia Integrated Content Development Program (ICON2) successfully introduced 69 apps to the Apple iTunes and Android App Store, according to the Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC).
The ICON Developer Assistance Program (ICONdap) provided a platform for ICON2 participants to develop their creative ideas into actual online and mobile apps through funding assistance, where they are then matched with the relevant business specialists, angels and VCs to take their creations to market. The apps are anticipated to achieve RM100,000 in revenue by the end of 2012.
“The ICON platform continues to play a key role in turning Malaysia into a content creator and animator. As a follow up to the resounding success of the inaugural ICON program in 2009-2010, ICON2 aims to bring the local content and application development in Malaysia to the next stage. This is in line with MSC Malaysia’s long-term strategy of honing local talents to create practical and creative solutions that appeal to the global market at large,” said Datuk Badlisham Ghazali, Chief Executive Officer of MDeC.
Some of the mobile apps that are developed through the ICON2 program include:
- NightMarkets – a comprehensive list of all the night markets (pasar malam) found all over Malaysia including their day and time.
- TryMasak – Malaysia’s biggest online cooking and food video app where you can watch cooking videos in a simple, ‘no-frills' and straight-forward way to help you prepare the recipes of your choice. These include simple and quick to prepare dishes to more meticulously prepared traditional recipes.
- Islands of Malaysia – A comprehensive guide covering over 20 stunning islands in Malaysia including a list of resorts and their prices, tourist attractions and outdoor activities.
- My First Iqra’ – An educational app for teaching children how to read the Quran in the well established Iqra’ method.
- Ah Long Attack – A fun tactical game with a Malaysian setting.
For more Tech News updates, please follow us here.